Compare The Effects of The Development of Colonial Society In The Various Regions of North America
Here we will compare the good and bad effects of the development of colonial society in the various regions of North America.
Overview of the effects:
1. European immigration caused a wide demographic change in North America. After European immigration, North American society became multi-racial (Caucasian, Blacks, And Mongolians). Caucasians and Blacks were the two new additions to this society.
2. In the new continent, Colonial society brought the system of slavery. Mostly, white Europeans captured Black people from the African continent and brought them to America. Although, like African Blacks, Europeans also captured native Americans too.
3. Third most significant impact seen on the reduction of native people’s population. Due to the massive death of natives for the outrages (killings and massacres) and pandemics spread by Europeans, the native people’s population drastically reduced in North America. Did you know? From 1492 to 1900, more than 12 million native people lost their lives because of European immigrants.
4. It caused massive changes in the economic life of the continent. Before Europeans immigrated to the continent, people here lived a very simple economic life, where concepts like selling, profits had no importance; but once, these clever people came here, economic life significantly started changing.
5. Earlier, indigenous people in the continent depend upon primitive warfare techniques; such as using sticks, spears, bows, stone-made weapons, etc. Colonial society influenced its traditional warfare techniques by bringing modern techniques.
6. European society also brought many new diseases here. Example: Smallpox, Measles, Typhus, Cholera, and many sexually transmitted diseases. These diseases killed millions of native people.
7. Europeans expanded new religious beliefs in the new continent, mainly Christianism.
8. The massive change in the old political system. Immigrants completely abrogated political power from indigenous people to their own hands.
1. The European Immigration Caused Demographic Change In North America
From the beginning of the 16th century, Europeans largely started migrating to this new continent.
The main countries among them were Spain, France, and Great Britain.
With the hope of getting a better life and establishing new colonies, these people kept migrating to the new world.
It, first of all, caused population growth in the new continent. Secondly, due to the arrival of a new human race, the population here started becoming multi-racial.
Its main reason was the native people and the Europeans belonged to two different human races.
Native people were closely associated with the Mongolian human race and Europeans belonged to the Caucasian human race.
Along with that, Europeans also brought here Black people for slavery, who were again from a different human race.
In this case, the society became multi-racial.
2. In The New Continent, Colonial Society Brought Slavery
European society brought the slavery system to the continent of North America, which had no existence before they came here.
They began the slave trade here through the Atlantic Ocean.
Mostly, they brought these black slaves from the African countries.
The Natives were also not getting relief from their atrocities because they too captured them for the same purpose.
Even, little kids and girls got highly victimized.
3. Population Reduction of Native Americans
Many times, Native people tried rebellion against Europeans’ tyrannies.
But due to the lack of war skill and diplomacy, they failed to execute it properly.
During these conflicts, many European tyrants executed massacres on the Natives.
Not only that but also many times, they committed collective suicide to get rid out of these atrocities.
Various studies show that during these massacres, more than 8 million native people lost their lives.
Of course, these massacres are mainly responsible for the reduction of their population.
4. It Caused Massive Changes In The Economic Life of The Continent
Before the immigration of the European people, the natives who lived here were not familiar with things like business, trade, profit, etc, nor did they need them all.
Their financial life was very simple. If needed, sometimes they managed it via the Barter system.
But immigrants changed this system. In the economic life here, they introduced profit, loss, business, trade, etc stuff.
5. Colonial Society Influenced Its Traditional Warfare Techniques
In the traditional warfare techniques, indigenous people in North America used sticks, spears, bows, and horses.
But colonial society influenced it with their highly developed modern weaponry techniques; such as using guns, gunpowder, and canon, etc.
6. European Society Also Brought Many New Diseases
To this day, many such terrible diseases have spread in the world, for which Europe is responsible.
Even on this new continent, Europeans have spread many such terrible microbes, which have killed millions of its native people.
Some of those diseases were Smallpox, Measles, Typhus, Cholera.
In today’s time, diseases like Smallpox may not be a very serious disease; but at that time, it was an epidemic.
Native Americans had no immunity to fight with these all. As result, it caused death in millions.
7. Expansion of New Religion, Mainly Christianism
Before the establishment of European society, religious beliefs such as Christianism, Buddhism, Islamism, Hinduism, and Judaism had no influence in North America.
As a religious belief locals mainly followed here Animism, Monotheism, Polytheism, Henotheism.
But once immigration started, immigrants brought here different religious beliefs; mostly Christianism.
They forcefully imposed Christianity on them; sometimes, they used violence as a tool to make natives oblige to accept Christianity.
8. Massive Change In Old Political System
The political power transferred from Natives to the hands of European imperialists hands.
Countries like France, England, Spain centralized all their power on their own hands.