What Did Abigail Adams Do In The American Revolution?
Abigail Adams, the wife of the United States Second President John Adams had played some vital roles during the period of the American Revolution, as well as the aftermath.
|Answer In Short:
1. First of All, During The Period of The American Revolution, She Wrote Many Letters To Her Husband John Adams, Who Was Then Attending The Second Continental Congress.
In Her Letters, She Advised Him To Take Matters Seriously Related To Women Empowerment, And Slavery.
Also, Abigail Advised John, Regarding The Future of The 13 Colonies.
However, John Often Ignored Her Pieces of Advice Reacting Jokingly.
2. Secondly, Because Her Husband Was Busy At The Second Continental Congress And Not Coming Back Home For A Very Long Time; So, At That Time, She Had To Take Complete Responsibility For Her Family.
At This Period of Time, Abigail Often Used To Say Other People That She Was The Owner of Their Properties.
(Fact: John Adams Was A Owner of A Large Number of Properties)
3. Thirdly, During The Era, She Profounded Married Women’s Property Rights Along With Women Education.
The Proof Was Her Letters To Her Husband, Where She Added This Interesting Line “Remember The Ladies And Be More Generous And Favorable To Them Than Your Ancestors. Do Not Put Such Unlimited Power Into The Hands of The Husbands. Remember All Men would be Tyrants If They Could”.
4. Her Fourth Important Doing Is For Humanity.
Actually, Abigail Always Opposed Slavery.
She Believed Slavery Was An Evil And An Obstacle For The Newly Born Country’s Democratic System’s Success.
Even, She Supported Black People’s Empowerment Through Education.
Abigail’s roles are especially remembered for her thinking towards women empowerment and for her letters to her husband John Adams about America’s future during the Revolutionary War.
In the year 1776, when John Adams was in the Second Continental Congress, she wrote a letter to him, where Abigail added these words – “Remember the ladies. Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of the husbands. Remember all men would be tyrants if they could.”
In these words, we get to see some initial forms of Feminism. However, at that time, people were not so conscious about these social matters.
Most of the time, she also advised John on America’s future, politics, revolutionary war, etc matters.
However, he never gave so much importance to her letters. Even, sometimes, John Adams ignored her advice jokingly.
By the way, whatever happened, today people of the United States remember this woman as one of the founders of the United States of America.
And obviously, she was the ‘Second First Lady’ of the great nation.
Other Interesting Facts About Abigail Adams
1. Abigail Adams was one of the only two women in US history, whose one side husband served as the country’s president; similarly, on the other side, her son also served as the country’s president. Her son was John Quincy Adams.
2. She was one of the fewer women in US history, whose life is highly documented by historians.
3. From the very beginning, Abigail’s family background was quite stronger. Especially, her family belonged to the political line. A few well-known names from her family were John Hancock, John Norton, Dorothy Quincy, etc.
4. Abigail and John Adams married in 1764. At that time, she was 20 years old. They birth to a total of 6 children within 12 years’ time.
5. For the first on June 19th, 2007, there was a series of 1$ coins released by the US government on this lady’s memory.