What Was Washington’s Basic Tactic During The Revolutionary War?
|Answer In Short & Quick: Instead of depending upon only one, General George Washington used many tactics to fight against British Royal forces during the American Revolutionary War.
Those basic tactics were:
1. George Washington was a genius military General.
Instead of depending upon traditional warfare tactics, he used many unconventional tactics to fight against the British.
The Guerilla Warfare tactic was one of the most effective among them.
2. George Washington knew that his army was not that strong, well-experienced, and disciplined as the British Red Coats were.
So, defeating British troops was quite difficult for his militias in face-to-face combat.
On the other hand, they had a lack of armaments and other resources.
For this reason, Washington always ordered his soldiers not to attack the British until they develop full confidence in their shots.
3. Whenever Washington found himself standing on the verge of losing a battle, he preferred retreating from the battleground instead of losing more men.
4. During wartime, George Washington built spy networks around the 13 colonies to get necessary military information.
One of the network’s names was Culper Ring. This network worked in the British-occupied New York City.
Description – What Was Washington’s Basic Tactic During The Revolutionary War?
George Washington was one of the most brilliant military Generals of the American revolutionary war.
After the US independence, he became the very first president of the newborn country.
During wartime, George Washington was well informed about the military power of the British Empire.
Also, he knew that the American colonists’ side was not that strong as the Britishers were.
Hence, he believed to defeat them in a traditional way of battle, not possible.
So, to defeat them, what was the basic tactic Washington pursued during the Revolutionary War?
Actually, he pursued many tactics instead of one.
One of the most popular among them was a surprise attack on the enemies.
In this method, the enemy does not even know where the attackers or enemies are hidden. This method is also known as Guerrilla Warfare.
Washington used this combat technique while he fought in the French-Indian war.
However, he also added some of his own tactics via his creativity.
All these methods remained very helpful for the American militias to defeat the British Royal forces.
Military Strength Comparision of Americans And British During The Revolution Era
1. During wartime, the British Navy was the largest and most powerful Navy force in the world.
But compared to them, the American Navy just got birth.
Here is a simple example of their military powers:
In the year 1776, British Naval forces had 270 ships, and Continental Navy had only 27 ships.
From here, you can imagine, the British Navy was ten times larger than Americans.
2. Secondly, the British soldiers were well-trained and well-equipped with much better arms, salaries, food, and other necessary equipment.
But American militias had no better equipment like this.
Due to a lack of funds, they had to fight without necessary pieces of equipment.
Even sometimes, during the winter season, they had to involve in combats without shoes.
However, they had one major plus point: the love for their motherland and get freedom.