Why Did Abraham Lincoln Make Thanksgiving A Holiday?
There are many reasons why did United States president Abraham Lincoln make Thanksgiving a national holiday.
In short, those reasons are:
- Via some good events, Abraham Lincoln wanted to unify the United States during the state of the bloody Civil War.
- He declared Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1863, because that year, the Union gained a massive victory at the battle of Gettysburg. It was a decisive victory for the Union in the Civil War.
- Lincoln also believed, via a Thanksgiving day Americans should celebrate their good luck living in a great democratic nation, the United States.
- Many historians say, Abraham Lincoln wanted to improve his image among Americans because the Civil War took the lives of almost a million people and therefore many started believing him as the worst president of the country.
Was Abraham Lincoln The First President To Recognize Thanksgiving As A National Holiday?
Yes, Lincoln was the first American president to recognize Thanksgiving as a national holiday.
However, United States’ first president George Washington already recognized this special day in 1789, but he didn’t declare it a national holiday.
Back then Washington’s main motive to celebrate Thanksgiving is partly to respect the newly born nation, the United States, and its federal constitution.
When Did Abraham Lincoln Declare Thanksgiving A National Holiday?
On October 3rd, 1863, via a historic proclamation president Abraham Lincoln urged Americans to celebrate the last Thursday of November next as a day of Thanksgiving.
Especially, he called them to observe it for the Union’s victory at the battle of Gettysburg.
Is The Thanksgiving Day In The United States Different From Canada?
Not much difference between Thanksgiving Days between the United States and Canada. Primarily, Thanksgiving is a harvest festival.
The United States and Canada celebrate it for the same purposes (Harvesting).
Apart from these two countries, many other countries also celebrate Thanksgiving Day.
Thanksgiving Day Dinner
People in the United States celebrate Thanksgiving Day with a lot of tasty food.
Here are a few main dishes in Thanksgiving dinner:
- Butter-and-Herb Roast Turkey
- Brussels sprouts with bacon
- Leek and Potato Gratin
- Green bean casserole
- Oyster Dressing and more.